Other Payroll: Uploading your payroll register
The Employer Dashboard allows you to securely upload your payroll files directly into our system. In the 'Pay Contributions' tab, you can provide contribution instructions by uploading your payroll register with contribution details for each employee.
Before you run your payroll
Log in to the Employer Dashboard to see if you have any pending Employee Requests (such as a change in their RRSP or TFSA contribution amount). Update your payroll system with any new requests, and run your payroll.
After you run your payroll
Log in to the Employer Dashboard and go to the 'Pay Contributions' tab
- Download the payrollregister.xlsx template and populate it with the contribution information from your payroll system.
- Upload your payrollregister.xlsx file (within 3 business days of running your payroll). Before you submit your file, you will be able to review the payroll contribution amounts for each employee, and the total contribution amount for that pay period.
Completing your update
After you've uploaded your file in the 'Pay Contributions' tab of the Employer Dashboard:
- Review the on-screen summary of total contributions, the split between employee and employer contributions, and the pay period before uploading the file.
- Click the green “Submit” button in the bottom right corner of the screen. Make sure you see the Success message before you log out.
Once your payroll register is uploaded, instructions go to Canadian Western Trust to automatically withdraw funds from your account for contributions and fees owing to Common Wealth.
Note: This step is completed every payroll cycle. If there have been no changes since your last payroll upload, you can download your last submitted file, update the date columns to reflect the correct pay period, and upload that file.
Payroll register file dos and don’ts
- Update your pay period start and end dates in each payroll register
- Be sure your payroll start and end dates don’t overlap
- Confirm that all date fields are entered in YYYY-MM-DD format
- Include two decimal points in your contribution columns
- Include both member and employer matching amounts, if applicable
- Update or paste over the column headers
- Include formulas or cell references in your file
- Use negative values. If you’ve entered these by mistake, please contact us for help with making corrections.
- Leave any empty rows in your file or include an employee without a contribution